Homemade Pie crust and spinach quiche
Dairy-free, cheesy & deliciousFamily holiday season bakeBreakfast/ lunch / dinner
- 1.5 Cup Whole wheat/ Emmer/khapli flour Or Depending upon the size of the quiche
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 Cup cashew cheese (same as pizza cheese/please check the recipe )
- 250 gm Spinach
- 3-4 Mushroom (optional )
- 1-2 sticks spring onion/ leek
- 1 pack organic tofu
- Salt, pepper & turmeric
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 Cup Cashew
- 1/4 Cup Melon seeds (Optional)
- *Depending upon the size of your family, you can make it as small as a small bowl or a big baking pan.
- *Thin or thick crust will be your choice too.
- Make a dough with the flour, add a pinch of salt and flax egg, make a dough-like roti.Continue kneading till you get a smooth dough; keep it aside for a few minutes.Now evenly flatten the dough into a bowl/ deep vessel with your hands.Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 10-20 minutesThere are two styles of making the crust, thin or thick; see what works for you. (Choose as per your liking)
- Dry roast the spring onion, add chopped spinach to it. Optional add chopped mushroom and cook for a few minutes.
- Blend the cashew cheese (same recipe as pizza cheese)Add the chopped tofu to the cheese, blend again.Pour this paste over the slightly cooked spinach. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180CFill this ready filling in the pie crust, bake for 30 mins to 1 hr depending upon the thickness of the baking dish & the power of your oven.Check with toothpick.Once it completely cools down, cut into slices.
There are a few options to bake the pie crust
- 1-First bake the prepared pie crust for 10 minutes, then stuff the filling.It will give a crunchy pie crust.Always grease the pie crust with oil/ butter to get the crunchy crust.
- 2-Take out the pie crust from the fridge, stuff the filling in it, directly bake in the oven.You might get a slightly soft crust with this method.
- 3-Baking with the lid on-It will give a different taste and texture.Initially, you will cover the quiche with the lid for 30 minutes, then remove the cover, bake for another 30 -40 minutes.
Try & test the small quiche first, ( make in a bowl ) then go for the big & beautiful amazing Vegan quiche
- One tbs flax seed powder + 3tbs hot/ warm waterMix well and keep aside for 5-10 minutes.It’s one ready flax egg.