Punjabi Dal Makhani
(Creamy delicious black lentil) No Butter, No Guilt ,Light on the stomach
- 1 cup Black urad (full/sabut)
- 1/3 cup kidney beans (rajma)
- 1/4 cup soaked Cashew (more if you want more creamy texture)
- 1 Onion chopped
- 4 Tomato(2chopped+2blended)
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp shredded Ginger
- 1-2 Green chilly chopped
- 2-3 tbsp Coriander chopped
Dry spices- (Quantity as per taste)
- 1 tbsp Red chilly powder spicy
- 1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tbsp Garam masala
- 1500 ml drinking Water
- 1 pinch Himalayan Salt
Soaking a night before
- Wash and overnight soak lentils in the water.
- Soak the cashews separately.
- Drain the water in the morning and wash it again.
- In the pressure cooker add 1500 ml drinking water, salt and 1/2 of the ginger.
- Cook at high flame initially and after one whistle turn it on the low heat for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Prepare the Tadka(chhonk)/Seasoning
- Dry roast the garlic, ginger and add onion, once they look cooked add tomato, blended and chopped both, add green chilly. Cook for 5-10 minutes and add dry spices.
Mixing/ blending, adding tadka to the lentil
- Take out 1/2 cup of cooked lentil with little water, add to the blender, add the cashews.
- Blend until you get the creamy texture.
- Pour this paste, back to the pressure cooker and mix well.
- Add the ready tadka to the mixture as well.
- Mix well and cook at very low flame for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander, ginger, onion rings etc and add optional cashew cream for extra rich taste.
How to eat?
- Eat this scrumptious Dal makhani with jeera(cumin)rice/ quinoa or with Whole wheat parantha/ bread.
- Enjoy the Divine taste