Christmas special plum cake
- 1/2 Cup Khapli (Emmer) wheat flour /whole-wheat flour/millet flour
- 2 tsp baking powder/ 1+1 baking soda & powder
- 2 tbs flaxseed powder
- 1/2 Cup aggery + dates
- 1/2 Cup desiccated coconut powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, clove, nutmeg powders
- 1/3 Cup coconut butter (Use 1/2 cup mashed banana or pumpkin puree for butter free version)
- 1.5 Cup coconut/nut milk
- 2 tbs dark Molasses (optional)
- 1 tbs Apple cider vinegar +1/2tsp rum extract (optional)
Fruits and Nuts
- 1.5 Cup chopped dried fruit & nuts A mix of golden and dark raisins, dates, figs, cherries cranberries, walnuts, pecans, almonds & cashews.
- 1-2 tbs orange zest
- 1 Cup orange juice/grape juice /apple juice /half juice +half rum to soak/ soak in the wine for at least 3-10 days Never soak nuts in the juice /wine ( only dried fruits)
- *Soak chopped dried fruits in juice/combination of juice & liquor/wine, overnight in the fridge (few days/weeks) at least 5-6 hrs.
- Preheated the oven at 180C -200 C
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients & spices.
- In another bowl, mix in all the wet ingredients & the soaked fruits. Add in nuts too.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix till everything looks combined.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then lower the heat to 170-75 C and bake for another 10-20 minutes.
Take a "toothpick test."
Stick a skewer/ toothpick into the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Cool completely before slicing.
Tastes best the next day